@safe(bool)

bitwise via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 22 19:35:50 PDT 2017

On Tuesday, 22 August 2017 at 19:56:46 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 22.08.2017 21:46, 12345swordy wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 22 August 2017 at 19:24:08 UTC, bitwise wrote:
>>> On Tuesday, 22 August 2017 at 00:33:17 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
>>> wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> There was a time that people would write code with even
>>> modest performance requirements in assembler for fear of what
>>> the compiler would spit out, but that's in the past, as is
>>> the notion of trying to develop without an IDE.
>>
>> You shouldn't rely on an IDE to compensate poor language
>> design. That is coming from a guy who prefers IDE's.
>
> I disagree with both the notion that this is poor language
> design and that an IDE is required to make sense out of code
> that uses the new feature.

"Required" is a bit of a strong word here. In the absence of good
practice, any language feature can be abused to make code
confusing.

Function overloading is a good example of a feature that is
usable as is, but made much better with a good IDE. But the same
way I wouldn't name every function in a class "performAction" and
pass a 50 member enum to it to tell it what to actually do, I
wouldn't have more than 4-5 different types of function attribute
combinations, and if I did, I wouldn't spread them out among 10
different files. What little extra effort it takes to look up the
attributes of a function in an atmosphere of good practice can
easily be made up for with good tools, and no one _has_ to use
bundled up attributes.