What are we going to do about mobile?

Ryion via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 24 05:35:08 PDT 2017

On Thursday, 24 August 2017 at 10:47:07 UTC, James W Hofmann
wrote:
> I happened across this old thread in a search for "mobile app
> dlang". I got a Chromebook recently and it represents a
> substantial phase shift in devices for me:

Arm has indeed become a more compelling platform, especially with
all the SBC that exist today. Nothing more fun as compiling code
on a Pi3 and seeing that little monster working like the big boys
( of course slower ).

Unfortunately, not everything works great. Like LDC being version
0.14.0 ( 2014! ) on the Pi3 Debian images. And well,
"_Unwind_RaiseException failed with reason code: 2128056904", on
a simply compile. Not exactly hopeful.

C works great. C++ same. GoLang version 1.3.3 and later perfect.
FreePascal totally useless with "An unhandled exception occurred
at $00084234". Its interesting to see what languages work and
those that bum out with default debian installations.

So its a mixed bag on ARM development. But people underestimate
how fast the ARM platform is evolving regarding speed. The Pi3
has 4 Armv8 A53 cores but you got now systems like Helion X20
with 2 * A72, 4 * A53 and another 4 * A35... Getting to being
only 1/4 then a full blown Intel 7600. All that for a 15W max
package. And this year we are getting 10nm X30 with more updated
cores. Good times...

The PC evolution market in regards to CPU technology has been
frankly very dead for the last few years. Small gains each
generation but nothing impressive. The only impressing thing has
been the AMD Ryzon's that finally pushed 8 cores into consumer
hands for a cheap price ( and the thread ripper for 16 for a
"reasonable" price, unlike Intel there prices for ages ).