Compile Imported Modules

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 24 10:49:27 PDT 2017

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 05:37:12PM +0000, Jonathan Marler via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> I had another thought that instead of making this an "opt-in" feature,
> it would probably make more sense to be an "opt-out" feature.  So by
> default the compiler would compile missing imported modules unless you
> indicate otherwise, maybe a command line switch like
> "-dont-compile-imports".  And I don't see how this would break
> anything.  Everything should work the same as it did before, it's just
> now you can omit imported module files from the command line and it
> should just work.

Uh, no.  This will definitely break separate compilation, and some
people will be very unhappy about that.  I think it's good enough to
leave it as an opt-in feature.

Today's society is one of specialization: as you grow, you learn more and more about less and less. Eventually, you know everything about nothing.