What's the best D programming book

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 25 21:25:15 PDT 2017

On Friday, August 25, 2017 21:08:59 Macdonal via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> What is the best D-Programming Book?

As someone who already knows several programming languages, I found Andrei's
"The D Programming Language" to be fantastic, because it explained D very
well without explaining stuff like what a variable or a for loop were. It
just told you how to program in D. There are a few things in it which are
out of date (e.g. it was written before we relaxed purity to work with
non-immutable arguments), and a couple of items in it have never been
implemented (multiple alias this and synchronized classes), but overall,
it's still very much applicable and extremely well written. And personally,
I just _really_ liked the fact that it wasn't trying to teach me how to
program in general like so many intro books do.

If you're looking for something that assumes less about your ability to
program in general, then Ali's "Programming in D" is probably a better. It
also covers some stuff that Andrei's book doesn't (and it's far newer).

But there are several books to choose from, and the list keeps growing:

https://wiki.dlang.org/Books

- Jonathan M Davis