Compile Imported Modules

Jonathan Marler via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 26 06:14:33 PDT 2017

On Saturday, 26 August 2017 at 06:31:11 UTC, user1234 wrote:
> On Friday, 25 August 2017 at 19:20:15 UTC, Jonathan Marler
> wrote:
>> On Friday, 25 August 2017 at 13:15:35 UTC, Daniel N wrote:

>>> I love it, thanks for doing this!
>>
>> Thanks, I think this is a really nice feature.  I've uploaded
>> my build so that people can try it out here
>> (https://github.com/marler8997/dmd/releases/tag/preview-compileimports).
>>
>> Just download and unzip dmd2.zip, then run the addtopath.bat
>> script in any shell you want to use this compiler in.  Thanks
>> in advance to anyone who gives it a try and shares their
>> thoughts.
>
> How does that mix with implicit imports (public imports located
> in an explicit import) ?

All imported modules need to be compiled whether they were
imported "explicitly" or "implicitly".  So both kinds work the
same when it comes to this feature.

P.S. There are some cases where you can "get away" with not
compiling a module, if it only contains declarations and
templates for example.  In this case it kind of behaves like a
header file in C/C++.