Promoting TutorialsPoint's D tutorial

Moritz Maxeiner via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 27 08:07:12 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 27 August 2017 at 13:12:22 UTC, Ecstatic Coder wrote:
> I agree, but here it's not a local modification I've done to a
> D library that I want to push so that other people can use it
> too.
>
> It's a change to the main landing page of the dlang.org
> website, which is by definition global and can ONLY be
> validated by those in charge of it.

Which - as I've pointed out - is much likelier to occur if you
open a PR.

> If those people in charge like the idea, then it's fine by me
> to translate the idea into physical changes through a PR.

That's your prerogative, but preapproval is extremely unlikely to
occur.

> But if not, it's a complete loss of time, and sorry to say it,
> but from what I've seen, there are VERY LITTLE chances these
> changes gets validated.
>
> I've already received enough "No, not interested" answers till
> now to the same proposal to think that this will be ok this
> time.

Add my voice to that corpus - I honestly don't care what the
website looks like.

> And yes, call it masochism, I continue proposing the change
> over and over, because I'm totally convinced that those changes
> to the dlang.org landing page are REALLY needed.

I haven't called it anything, yet, but if I were to call it
something, it would be insanity, because I see no causal link
between proposing the same thing repeatedly and other peoples'
interests.
I'm reasonably confident it would've taken you less time to do
that PR than writing your posts on this topic and reading
peoples' replies already took from you; the difference between
the two being that you're no closer to getting your changes
through right now (or even receiving a definite answer), whereas
if you had opened the PR you could've already moved on to the
next thing of interest to you, instead of remaining in the
current loop of "post idea" -> "wait -> "don't get preapproval"
-> "wait" -> ...
If you open a PR, it's likely to eventually receive a review that
will either result in rejection, merging, or a discussion. In
either case, you're free to pursue other things in the meantime
and as long as the PR remains open, the changes aren't lost.

> That's what the other languages do, it works well for them, and
> NO, I don't see the advantages in doing the opposite of what
> works well for the others.

And if you want to see change, it'll take you to champion it via
a PR (and defending it in the resulting discussion).

> It's not plagiarism, it's just common sense...

No idea why you think I would care, since programming languages
have always been about copying good stuff from others.