Editor recommendations for new users.

Jerry via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 27 09:22:44 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 27 August 2017 at 15:17:51 UTC, Moritz Maxeiner wrote:
> On Sunday, 27 August 2017 at 13:15:41 UTC, Ryion wrote:
>> On Sunday, 27 August 2017 at 10:05:29 UTC, Nicholas Wilson
>> wrote:
>>> The following are a must:
>>>     no large install footprint
>>
>> Visual Studio Code seems to be what you need.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Relative low memory footprint for the functionality ( compared
>> to several IDEs that do the same ).
>>
>> [...]
>
> The (must) requirement was install footprint, not memory
> footprint, and as Visual Studio code uses the electron
> framework[1] its install footprint is gigantic (about 180MB vs
> e.g. TextAdept's 20MB).

It isn't that gigantic in comparison. You can say the same thing
in comparison with vim which is only a 2MB install size, 20MB in
comparison is gigantic. The requirements are rather vague, you
can interpret it in a number of ways. I wouldn't consider 200MB
gigantic in comparison to 20MB cause there is literally no
difference of use for me. You'd have to have a really shitty
laptop for it to be an issue.