Editor recommendations for new users.

Moritz Maxeiner via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 27 11:08:52 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 27 August 2017 at 16:22:44 UTC, Jerry wrote:
> On Sunday, 27 August 2017 at 15:17:51 UTC, Moritz Maxeiner
> wrote:
>> On Sunday, 27 August 2017 at 13:15:41 UTC, Ryion wrote:
>>>
>>> Visual Studio Code seems to be what you need.
>>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Relative low memory footprint for the functionality (
>>> compared to several IDEs that do the same ).
>>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> The (must) requirement was install footprint, not memory
>> footprint, and as Visual Studio code uses the electron
>> framework[1] its install footprint is gigantic (about 180MB vs
>> e.g. TextAdept's 20MB).
>
> It isn't that gigantic in comparison.

It's nearly ten times the size, so yeah, it is relative to
Textadept.

> You can say the same thing in comparison with vim which is only
> a 2MB install size,
> 20MB in comparison is gigantic.

Indeed, but that's only the raw executable, not the full package
(which includes things like syntax highlighting), which adds
another 26MB.
But, yes, Textadept and vim+vim-core (Gentoo speak) are both
gigantic required to bare bones vim. But bare bones vim doesn't
fulfill the syntax highlighting requirement IIRC.

> The requirements are rather vague, you can interpret it in a
> number of ways.

The sensible interpretation imho is "as low an install footprint
as possible while still fulfilling the other requirements". I'm
not aware of anything below ~20MB install footprint that fulfills
the other requirements, but I'd be interested if you know any.

> I wouldn't consider 200MB gigantic in comparison to 20MB cause
> there is literally no difference of use for me.

The thread is about OP's requirements.

> You'd have to have a really shitty laptop for it to be an issue.

Not relevant.