Editor recommendations for new users.

Ryion via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 28 13:48:44 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 27 August 2017 at 18:08:52 UTC, Moritz Maxeiner wrote:
> It's nearly ten times the size, so yeah, it is relative to
> Textadept.
>
>> You can say the same thing in comparison with vim which is
>> only a 2MB install size,
>> 20MB in comparison is gigantic.
>
> Indeed, but that's only the raw executable, not the full
> package (which includes things like syntax highlighting), which
> adds another 26MB.
> But, yes, Textadept and vim+vim-core (Gentoo speak) are both
> gigantic required to bare bones vim. But bare bones vim doesn't
> fulfill the syntax highlighting requirement IIRC.
>
>> The requirements are rather vague, you can interpret it in a
>> number of ways.
>
> The sensible interpretation imho is "as low an install
> footprint as possible while still fulfilling the other
> requirements". I'm not aware of anything below ~20MB install
> footprint that fulfills the other requirements, but I'd be
> interested if you know any.

As the OP did not state any requirement, he can consider 2GB as
small. Vague requirements do not invalidate the recommendation.

Laptops have 1TB harddrives as good as standard.

Even on a "small" 128GB SSD, it pales in comparison to the 10GB
that Windows alone takes. Let alone the page file, swapfile,
hibernation file etc...

>> I wouldn't consider 200MB gigantic in comparison to 20MB cause
>> there is literally no difference of use for me.
>
> The thread is about OP's requirements.
>
>> You'd have to have a really shitty laptop for it to be an
>> issue.
>
> Not relevant.

As the OP has not stated the size of the laptops it needs to be
installed upon, the discussion about 180MB vs 20MB or 2MB is
irrelevant. We are not talking a 4GB Visual Studio installation.
And its 160MB for the 32Bit version. :)

So if the OP has other requirements, HE can state them in this
topic, instead of you making up ideas as to what YOU consider
small. Your comments are irrelevant without knowing the OP his
expectations.

So again please do not distract from the topic.