Symbols missing, unmangle!

Johnson via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 30 15:21:52 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, 30 August 2017 at 22:07:29 UTC, lobo wrote:
> On Wednesday, 30 August 2017 at 20:23:18 UTC, Johnson Jones
> wrote:
>> It would be nice if, when symbols are missing, they are
>> unmangled!
>>
>> Error 42: Symbol Undefined
>> _D12mMunchhousin12iMunchhousin11__T4GoTsZ4GoMFS12mMunchhousin18__T10MunchhousinTsZ10sMunchhousinfE12mMunchhousin9eGoffZv (void Munchhousin.Munchhousin.Go!(short).Go()
>>
>> I know some like to read nonsense for fun, but I don't. Sure,
>> I could learn, but it is a useless skill only good for
>> interpreting link errors, writing compilers, and being the
>> life of the party, none of which I want to do for a living.
>
> Your error message already displays "void
> Munchhousin.Munchhousin.Go!(short).Go()"
>
> Is this not the missing symbol?
>
> I don't read mangled names either and I've found ddemangle tool
> helps. It ships with dmd.
>
> bye,
> lobo

It might be the same. If that is the case then it would be nice
if it didn't display the junk that gets in the way(e.g., add a
switch).

I don't want to have to hunk and peck for stuff(even if it's
nearly obvious in some cases). In VisualD, the mangled crap is on
a long line that I have to scroll, which is time consuming. Even
if wrap is on it still isn't pretty. I mean, if the logic is "It
shows the information" then why not just display it directly in
binary and let the end user convert it in their head. If they are
too stupid to do so then create an online demangler site and a
few college classes to teach them how. At some point it becomes
ridiculous. Technology is suppose to make our lives easier, not
harder. Usually these things are left the way they are until
someone gets tired of it and fixes it, it's not that it can't be
done, it's that no one seems to care(or it would have been done
or the time is now).