Editor recommendations for new users.

Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 30 15:24:47 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, August 30, 2017 11:28:35 Anonymouse via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Sunday, 27 August 2017 at 12:11:14 UTC, Petar Kirov
>
> [ZombineDev] wrote:
> > vim or SublimeText
>
> I want to get into vim. It has to be vim, can't be Neovim or gvim
> or any other clone; I'm doing it for a Linux class. I'm on Arch
> Linux (or Manjaro), so I have plenty available from the official
> repos and plenty more from the user AUR repos.

gvim and vim are the exact same program (in fact on my system, gvim is
literally a symlink to vim). It's just that gvim starts vim in a Window, so
you can actually do stuff like resize it. It does come with some GUI menu
junk on the top by default, and using that certainly wouldn't help you learn
vim, but if you use gvim and just don't use the menu stuff at the top,
you're using normal vim except in a window. And if you put

" hide menu
set guioptions-=m

" hide toolbar
set guioptions-=T

in your .gvimrc, all of the GUI stuff goes away. That's what I did, and I
almost always use gvim, because then it's not tied to the terminal, and it's
nice and resizable. But if I do need to use vim in a terminal (e.g. because
I'm using ssh without X forwarding or because the machine I'm using doesn't
have X installed), it's exactly the same as in the GUI window. The only
hickup there that I'm aware of is that the coloring works differently
between gvim and running vim in a terminal, because gvim has a better range
of colors. So, your .vimrc defines the colors for them separately, and if
you're picky about the colors, you have different options in gvim than in
the terminal. But all of the commands are identical, because it's the same
program.

> The wiki page on vim[1] lists several plugins which I assume are
> mutually exclusive. DSnips[2] was very easy to install by just
> installing UltiSnips and placing d.snippets in its appropriate
> place, but it seems to only provide, as the name suggests,
> boilerplate snippets. Dutyl[3] seems much more interesting but
> also more daunting, considering that my vim knowledge so far
> largely consists of :wq and :q!.
>
> Are those the two alternatives available to me?
>

> [1]: https://wiki.dlang.org/D_in_Vim
> [2]: https://github.com/kiith-sa/DSnips
> [3]: https://github.com/idanarye/vim-dutyl

All I use is the D syntax file so that the syntax highlighting works
correctly. I've never seen any need for anything else.

- Jonathan M Davis