Editor recommendations for new users.

Moritz Maxeiner via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 30 15:42:40 PDT 2017

On Wednesday, 30 August 2017 at 21:30:44 UTC, Jerry wrote:
> On Sunday, 27 August 2017 at 18:08:52 UTC, Moritz Maxeiner
> wrote:
>>> The requirements are rather vague, you can interpret it in a
>>> number of ways.
>>
>> The sensible interpretation imho is "as low an install
>> footprint as possible while still fulfilling the other
>> requirements". I'm not aware of anything below ~20MB install
>> footprint that fulfills the other requirements, but I'd be
>> interested if you know any.
>
> The install requirement is arbitrary, and why 20MB? It just
> seems like you are trying to advertise that program for some
> reason.

Because of the programs recommended until that post nothing was
below that while meeting the other requirements (there were
others in the same range, vim being one). The (later) DlangIDE
recommendation, however, lowered that to about ~5MB (beating both
my recommendation and vim in the process).

>>> I wouldn't consider 200MB gigantic in comparison to 20MB
>>> cause there is literally no difference of use for me.
>>
>> The thread is about OP's requirements.
>
> So replace me with anyone.
>
>>> You'd have to have a really shitty laptop for it to be an
>>> issue.
>>
>> Not relevant.
>
> It is relevant, shit, even with a shitty laptop you can upgrade
> the hdd and then it becomes a non-issue anyways.

Your argument implicitly assumed a specific reason (albeit a
generally sensible one) as to why low install size was a (must)
requirement (physical storage limitations being only one possible
reason; shared devices with fixed disk quotas or devices owned by
the university with certain policies being other possibilities).
That is why I didn't (and don't) think it as relevant to the
specific point about being as low as possible I was making.