Editor recommendations for new users.

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Aug 30 17:35:01 PDT 2017

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 06:21:36PM -0600, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> It's possible to read pretty much any language without syntax
> highlighting, but I find that it makes it faster when you have good
> syntax highlighting, and I see no reason not to take advantage of it.
> Regardless, everyone has different preferences, so it's good that
> we're not all restricted to using exactly the same editor and setup.
[...]

I don't care for syntax highlighting mainly because I find the
kaleidoscopic effect very distracting on my eyes.  With non-highlighted
code my attention can be focused on what I'm trying to do rather than
being drawn by this color over here and that color over there. That, and
it rarely blends well with my choice of terminal default colors.  I turn
off all color settings on "modern" *nix shell utilities for this same
reason, too.  I find them more of a distraction than an aid.

Also, I use ssh remote terminals a lot, and terminal colors often don't
translate properly from one terminal to another.

But yes, hooray for choice.  If everyone else had to suffer the
colorless environment I enjoy, not many people would be here today.  :-D

Heuristics are bug-ridden by definition. If they didn't have bugs, they'd be algorithms.