Editor recommendations for new users.

Moritz Maxeiner via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 31 16:42:33 PDT 2017

On Thursday, 31 August 2017 at 23:20:52 UTC, Jerry wrote:
> On Wednesday, 30 August 2017 at 22:42:40 UTC, Moritz Maxeiner
> wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 30 August 2017 at 21:30:44 UTC, Jerry wrote:
>>> The install requirement is arbitrary, and why 20MB? It just
>>> seems like you are trying to advertise that program for some
>>> reason.
>>
>> Because of the programs recommended until that post nothing
>> was below that while meeting the other requirements (there
>> were others in the same range, vim being one). The (later)
>> DlangIDE recommendation, however, lowered that to about ~5MB
>> (beating both my recommendation and vim in the process).
>
> It's one of the most useless requirements in that list though.

That depends on OP's use case.

> The only reason people mention install size is to boast about
> it.

I disagree.

> I think he just didn't want to install something like Visual
> Studio which takes 10+ GB.

I don't know and don't want to speculate. My personal implicit
assumption is only that as this is the general NG, not the learn
NG, that OP has good reasons as to why that's a requirement (on
the learn NG I would've asked for the reasons first before
recommending anything myself, though that's beside the point).

>>> It is relevant, shit, even with a shitty laptop you can
>>> upgrade the hdd and then it becomes a non-issue anyways.
>>
>> Your argument implicitly assumed a specific reason (albeit a
>> generally sensible one) as to why low install size was a
>> (must) requirement (physical storage limitations being only
>> one possible reason; shared devices with fixed disk quotas or
>> devices owned by the university with certain policies being
>> other possibilities). That is why I didn't (and don't) think
>> it as relevant to the specific point about being as low as
>> possible I was making.
>
> Fancy way of agreeing with me, not sure what you are even going
> on about anymore if you agree.

I provided an explanation why I dismissed your argument as
irrelevant to the point I was making. That does not mean I agree
with you.