First Impressions!

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Fri Dec 1 18:31:46 UTC 2017

On Friday, December 01, 2017 09:49:08 Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On 12/1/17 7:26 AM, Patrick Schluter wrote:
> > On Friday, 1 December 2017 at 06:07:07 UTC, Patrick Schluter wrote:
> >>  isolated codepoints.
> >
> > I meant isolated code-units, of course.
>
> Hehe, it's impossible for me to talk about code points and code units
> without having to pause and consider which one I mean :)

What, you mean that Unicode can be confusing? No way! ;)

LOL. I have to be careful with that too. What bugs me even more though is
that the Unicode spec talks about code points being characters, and then
talks about combining characters for grapheme clusters - and this in spite
of the fact that what most people would consider a character is a grapheme
cluster and _not_ a code point. But they presumably had to come up with new
terms for a lot of this nonsense, and that's not always easy.

Regardless, what they came up with is complicated enough that it's arguably
a miracle whenever a program actually handles Unicode text 100% correctly.
:|

- Jonathan M Davis