Question on Dual-Licensing Some Code for Phobos

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Dec 1 22:45:13 UTC 2017

On 12/1/2017 2:31 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2017-11-30 23:23, Walter Bright wrote:
>
>> Dominic gave us permission to relicense as Boost, so there is no problem. Phew!
>
> Yeah, no worries. I didn't start the work until we had permission to relicense
> from the original author.

I had forgotten, permission indeed was in my email archives from 2011.

But a problem remained - to anyone looking at the file, it looks like we copied
the code and changed the license without permission. So I added a comment
clarifying that we did have permission.

---

I once received a furious email from a person who said I stole his software and
was distributing it without permission. I dug back through my archives, and
forwarded him his own email granting me permission. Dodged a bullet on that one.

I once solicited and received permission from K+R to quote sections of their
classic C book (both were extremely nice). It was during a stretch of about 3
months where I wasn't making backups, and a disk crash wiped it out. I was too
embarrassed about that to ask again, and so I never used the quotes, and now
it's too late.

It pays to keep backups of email. I very rarely need it, but when I do, it's a
life saver. Though having 20 years of it now means searching it is a bit of a
challenge :-)

Sometimes I'm a bit amazed at the 16 years of D newsgroup archives:

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives//index.html