First Impressions!

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Dec 1 23:54:31 UTC 2017

> I'm sure that we could come up with a better encoding than UTF-8 (e.g.
> getting rid of Unicode normalization as being a thing and never having
> multiple encodings for the same character), but _that_'s never going to
> happen.

UTF-8 is not the cause of that particular problem, it's caused by the Unicode
committee being a committee. Other Unicode problems are caused by the committee
trying to add semantic information to code points, which causes nothing but
problems. I.e. the committee forgot that Unicode is a character set, and nothing
more.