First Impressions!

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad+dlang at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 14:02:43 UTC 2017

On Saturday, 2 December 2017 at 04:08:54 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
wrote:
> code points. Emojis are specifically representable by a
> sequence of existing characters (usually ASCII), because they
> came from folks trying to represent pictures with text.

They are used as symbols culturally, which is how written
language happen, so I think the real question is if they have
just implemented the ones that have become widespread over a long
period of time or if they have deliberately created completely
new ones... It makes sense for the most used ones.

E.g. I don't want "8-(3+4)" to render as "😳3+4" ;-)

There is also a difference between Ø and ∅, because the meaning
is different. Too bad the same does not apply to arrows (math vs
non math usage).

So yeah, they could do better, but not too bad. If something is
widely used in a way that gives signs a different meaning then it
makes sense to introduce a new symbol for it so that one both can
render them slightly differently and so that the programs can
interpret them correctly.