Question on Dual-Licensing Some Code for Phobos

Andre Pany andre at s-e-a-p.de
Sat Dec 2 18:30:22 UTC 2017

On Thursday, 30 November 2017 at 19:17:32 UTC, Jack Stouffer
wrote:
> I'm starting work on a proposal for stdx.decimal, and one of
> the clearest implementations to work off of is the Python
> implementation.
>
> This however, poses a problem because Python's source is under
> the PSFL, a BSD-like permissive license. Any derivative work,
> such as a D conversion, must have the original copyright
> notice, a copy of the PSFL, as a well as a summary of changes.
> This is simple enough to do, but the resulting code would be
> dual-licensed with the PSFL and the BSL 1.0 (dual-licensing
> being relatively common in other OSS projects).
>
> My question is there any reason this could pose a problem?
> Could this interfere with something like distribution or
> company adoption?
>
> Also note, one of the existing Phobos modules, std.net.isemail,
> is supposed to be dual-licensed because it's derived from an
> existing BSD work. But, it's missing the BSD license from the
> top (and is technically breaking the license because of that).

That s great that you have a look at this area.

Maybe the developers of the Python Decimal Module could be asked
whether they allow us to license the derived work as BSL similar
to isemail.

Do you know there is already a similar attempt to bring decimal
to phobos: https://github.com/andersonpd/eris
This work could also be a starting point...

Kind regards
Andre