Thoughts about D

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Sun Dec 3 12:20:14 UTC 2017

On 12/3/2017 2:32 AM, Iain Buclaw wrote:
> People have been making alternative druntime libraries for a while
> now, either as stubs inside their own project, or by using minilibd.
> There's nothing stopping you from simply swapping out druntime for
> another implementation.

It may indeed work to use a special druntime. My expectation, however, is that
it's a lot more work trying to develop and support another runtime library, and
a lot more work for the user trying to get that library worked into his build
system. This will drastically cut down on the number of users willing to give it
a try.

(Consider the ENDLESS problems Win64 users have trying to link in the VC C
runtime library, something that should be trivial. And these are experienced VC
developers.)

Meanwhile, we've got -betterC today, and it's simple and it works.