Adding Markdown to Ddoc

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Dec 6 18:14:44 UTC 2017

On Wed, Dec 06, 2017 at 10:32:38AM -0500, Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 12/6/17 8:24 AM, Adrian Matoga wrote:
> > >
> > > Part of this change of mind was driven by the bit of markdown that
> > > Ddoc already supports - the backticks to quote code and auto
> > > detection of URLs - and how nice that has turned out.
> >
> > This is going to be the right time to deprecate the automatic change of
> > some words that happen to be parameter names into code. :)
>
> Yes, please!
[...]

+1000!

This "feature" has been the source of countless Phobos and dlang.org
bugs, leading to time-wasting churn of changing `someword` into
`_someword`, just to suppress the automatic change.  The underscore
proliferation makes the source code quite unreadable if your module
happens to be unfortunate enough to have many symbols that coincide with
actual words.  It even happens inside URL macros used extensively in
Phobos, meaning that you have to mangle your URLs just so DDoc doesn't
destroy them by inserting "helpful" macro syntax, but that has the
unfortunate side-effect of making DDoc URLs non-copy-pasteable when
editing the source code.

In short, the "helpful" automatic changing of words into code has turned
out to be a total disaster in practice.  For every instance where it's
actually helpful, there are 99 instances where it's a nuisance.  It's
time to admit that it was a bad design, and kill it with fire and
extreme prejudice.

Без труда не выловишь и рыбку из пруда.