Adding Markdown to Ddoc

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Fri Dec 8 09:48:05 UTC 2017

On 2017-12-08 06:35, Walter Bright wrote:

> I dunno. Make a case. There's no backward compatibility necessary, so we
> do not have to worry about the two ways of doing lists, for example.
> Just '*' will do.
>
> Aside from what Ddoc already does, I'd just stick with:
>
> * Lists
> * Nested Lists
> * Headings
> * Bold
> * Italic
> * \ escaping
> * Quoted text
>
> and skip:
>
> * tables
> * links
> * emoji

I think links are pretty important, or do you prefer to use Ddoc macros
for that?

I think we should try to support standard markdown [2] plus features
from GitHub markdown. Like fenced code blocks and syntax highlighting
[3]. For simplicity we can start by only supporting D syntax highlighting.

Just for the record, the link you included in your original post [1],
contains some non-standard markdown like:

* Task lists
* Mentioning people and teams
* Referencing issues and pull requests
* Using emoji