Adding Markdown to Ddoc

bachmeier no at spam.net
Mon Dec 11 17:09:58 UTC 2017

On Monday, 11 December 2017 at 14:22:37 UTC, Jakob Bornecrantz
wrote:

> There are loads of implementations of CommonMark
> https://github.com/commonmark/CommonMark/wiki/List-of-CommonMark-Implementations the one I have written is not listed. That covers 1 and 2.
>
> Also Markdown is not a standard, it started out as a pearl
> script and the a short documentation on how to write text for
> it. It has several ambiguities, leading to a lot of
> implementations do things differently. So they don't agree on
> the authority of Markdown. Which makes Markdown a mess because
> you don't know what behaviour you will get from the different
> implementation. So that covers 3.
>
> And to add more, CommonMark on the other hand has a full spec
> written and several test that covers the difficult to get right
> parts of Markdown/CommonMark. I'm sure I don't need to tell you
> the virtues of a good test suit.
>
> Cheers, Jakob.

If there is a desire to add CommonMark support, it is best to
output ddoc to commonmark and call an external tool specified by
the user. The proposal to add a few markdown features to ddoc is
a reasonable short run goal. If you set commonmark support as a
goal, it will probably never get done.