Adding Markdown to Ddoc

John Gabriele jgabriele at fastmail.fm
Mon Dec 11 19:29:28 UTC 2017

On Monday, 11 December 2017 at 00:54:00 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> Don't get me wrong, I think commonmarkdown is a worthy effort,
> and is definitely in the running to be a standard. Certainly a
> lot more effort seems to have been put into it vs other
> markdowns.

Note that CommonMark isn't simply a markdown implementation. It's
a:

   * spec
   * test suite
   * two reference implementations
   * collection of community implementations

and also includes an active community forum.

The people involved are dedicated. The spec is conservative,
uncontroversial, and detailed.

> But implementing commonmarkdown in Ddoc is not what we're going
> to do, at least for the near term.

Right. That said, if you want to add a handful of markdown-ish
features, I think it would be most useful to draw your very
limited markdown subset from the CommonMark markdown spec. The
other option takes you down the road of unintentionally creating
yet another variant for users to contend with.