Adding Markdown to Ddoc

Jakob Bornecrantz wallbraker at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 18:14:18 UTC 2017

On Tuesday, 12 December 2017 at 02:30:39 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 12/11/2017 2:30 PM, Jakob Bornecrantz wrote:
>> It is not written in D, but the language is close enough in
>> concepts that it can be mechanically ported into D, and is
>> licensed under BOOST. Feel free to do what ever to it[1].
>
> Thank you for Boost licensing it!

Happy if it can help you in anyway. We have imported some code
from Druntime/Phobos as well, so licensing it all under BOOST
made sense.

>> We first used the markdown parser from vibe.d, when we threw
>> the CommonMark testsuit, 10 tests segfaulted and 1
>> infinite-spun in a loop somewhere in the code. We then rewrote
>> from scratch using the recommended practices from the
>> CommonMark spec and the XML output from cmark as a guide.
>>
>> The code is used in our documentation system. Both
>> doc-comments and outside documentation files are written in
>> CommonMark. The doc-comments uses Doxygen tags which is then
>> run through CommonMark, most of the time it does nothing to
>> the comments, but if you want to write long comments it makes
>> it much more natural and enjoyable.
>>
>> [1]
>> https://github.com/VoltLang/Watt/tree/master/markdown/src/watt/markdown
>
> It's apparently written in Volt:
>
> https://github.com/VoltLang/Watt

It's a language a small group of people (me included) have been
working on for a while, I avoid naming it here because it's a
system level language like D. I don't want to advertise it in any
form here to keep the discussion on D.

But in this case the intent was code sharing. :D

Cheers, Jakob.