state of ranges

Neia Neutuladh neia at ikeran.org
Tue Dec 12 23:25:19 UTC 2017

On Tuesday, 12 December 2017 at 18:58:11 UTC, Luís Marques wrote:
> Ok, so the consensus was to make ranges easy to use. Was there
> any progress on mechanisms to avoid the possible performance
> penalties, and to make the implementation side more regular?

Have you noticed performance problems or implementation side
irregularities?

It would be handy for us to make benchmarks (if nobody has done
it yet?), but my feeling is that it doesn't have a measurable
impact on performance in the context of a single iterator
compared to opApply. Probably has a greater impact when you're
stacking things together, since ranges can use design by
introspection to do less work.