D client for ROS

Johan Engelen j at j.nl
Sun Dec 17 14:16:14 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 22 November 2017 at 22:16:12 UTC, thinwybk wrote:
> On Wednesday, 22 November 2017 at 19:02:17 UTC, thinwybk wrote:
>> On Saturday, 29 July 2017 at 10:21:32 UTC, Johan Engelen wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>   Are there any robot folks out here that are working with
>>> ROS and would be able to work on creating a D client library
>>> for it?
>>

>> a bit late... yes, I am working in robotics and I would be
>> interrested in helping out. I know that other people visit ROS
>> and D meetups in munich and could be interrested as well.
>>

> Have you considered to post on discourse.ros.org (client
> libraries) https://discourse.ros.org/c/client-libraries as
> well? You would propably get more response there.

Andrei thought it could be a good GSoC project.
It may take a bit of effort to define the project such that the D
community at large can benefit from it. I'm thinking about
possible additions to dub/other tool to support a more complex
build setup like ROS is using; but perhaps it is not needed with
D's more advanced capabilities in comparison to C++.

Shall we schedule a time for an online chat/discussion (slack,
gitter, ...) to see how to proceed?  (and discuss tech things
like ROS1 or ROS2, step-plan and minimum requirements, ...)

cheers,
   Johan