lld status

David Nadlinger code at klickverbot.at
Thu Dec 21 19:21:21 UTC 2017

On Thursday, 21 December 2017 at 18:40:54 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> I heard ldc already uses its embedded variant for linking
> programs (on Widows? Posix? 32bit? 64bit?)

Internal linking is currently enabled by a separate command-line
flag; we still use the system linker by default (just as a
precaution to avoid needless breakage because of a new feature).

lld works for COFF, ELF as well as Mach-O. For the latter, there
is the problem of locating the appropriate C runtime libraries to
consider, though (those that the `gcc` linker driver implicitly
passes to the underlying `ld`).

> Can we distribute it as an alternative to optlink?

Yes, that should work. As far as I know, it doesn't support OMF,
though, so we would need to find COFF C/system libraries we can
redistribute - it is unclear whether Microsoft's license allows
redistribution of their static libraries.

  - David