code.dlang.org name collision

WebFreak001 d.forum at webfreak.org
Thu Dec 21 20:42:42 UTC 2017

On Thursday, 21 December 2017 at 20:13:21 UTC, Steven
Schveighoffer wrote:
> I think currently on code.dlang.org, if you create a
> library/program for use, it uses the name you choose as a
> unique identifier for your project.
>
> However, this seems rather open to abuse, or to unnecessary
> conflicts.
>
> An example, I plan to have iopipe depend (eventually) on Martin
> Nowak's new io library listed here:
>
> https://github.com/MartinNowak/io
>
> But, there is already an "io" library in dub:
>
> http://code.dlang.org/packages/io
>
> This links to a stale project,
> https://github.com/jasonwhite/io, not updated since June 2016.
>
> So what does this mean? Jason White's library gets to own the
> name "io" forever?
>
> It's not fair to Jason, or anyone who links to his project to
> take it down or change it, but this also seems unfair to anyone
> who is willing to publish and maintain an io package of their
> own.
>
> One of the most annoying things I found is that even if I
> add-local Martin's io repository to dub, it *still* wants to
> compile against the code.dlang.org library (this makes sense as
> we don't want hijacking, but the solution sucks, I have to use
> a modified version of Martin's dub.sdl file).
>
> Regardless of this example, I'm sure you can see the dilemma
> here. Should we have an application/approval process for
> package names? Should we allow the same named packages on dub,
> but provide a way to disambiguate when specifying dependencies?
> Other ideas?
>
> What do you all think?
>
> -Steve
>
> P.S. maybe there is already a solution in place for this, but
> I'm not seeing it.

I don't think it should be removed, semver states versions must
be immutable and never changed. Also there are guaranteed
packages or programs depending on this which need it and future
people wouldn't be able to build them if it was removed. Once
registered they should stay registered forever imo, should just
take a different name then