code.dlang.org name collision

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 21 20:55:40 UTC 2017

On 12/21/17 3:42 PM, WebFreak001 wrote:

> I don't think it should be removed, semver states versions must be
> immutable and never changed. Also there are guaranteed packages or
> programs depending on this which need it and future people wouldn't be
> able to build them if it was removed. Once registered they should stay
> registered forever imo, should just take a different name then

Obviously we can't remove or change the names of currently registered
projects. That isn't an option.

But the result is that code.dlang.org will be full of projects like
"betterxml" or "xml2" or "xml2018", because each developer abandons some
work, and now it looks like a complete mess.

Imagine if github was this way, you couldn't name your project after any
other persons project name! I don't see why we shouldn't be able to
disambiguate between people's projects somehow, even specifying a
dependency.

-Steve