code.dlang.org name collision

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 21 22:11:15 UTC 2017

On 12/21/17 4:55 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> I don't think existing names can be changed - too disruptive.
>
> But moving forward, perhaps a reasonable solution is to require new
> packages added to dub to have at least a 6 character name, and it should
> not be something generic like "io", "file", "network", "time", etc.
>
> Please bring this up with the dub maintainers.

https://github.com/dlang/dub/issues/1315

I had an idea based on WebFreak's suggestion:

If more than one person registers project "X", then you can depend on
the earliest project via "X", but must use "username/X" to depend on
other projects with the same name.

This would be backwards compatible. I'm assuming that you can't actually
name a project "username/X" now, right?

-Steve