code.dlang.org name collision

Andre Pany andre at s-e-a-p.de
Fri Dec 22 07:41:36 UTC 2017

On Thursday, 21 December 2017 at 20:13:21 UTC, Steven
Schveighoffer wrote:
> I think currently on code.dlang.org, if you create a
> library/program for use, it uses the name you choose as a
> unique identifier for your project.
>
> However, this seems rather open to abuse, or to unnecessary
> conflicts.
>
> An example, I plan to have iopipe depend (eventually) on Martin
> Nowak's new io library listed here:
>
> https://github.com/MartinNowak/io
>
> But, there is already an "io" library in dub:
>
> http://code.dlang.org/packages/io
>
> This links to a stale project,
> https://github.com/jasonwhite/io, not updated since June 2016.
>
> So what does this mean? Jason White's library gets to own the
> name "io" forever?
>
> It's not fair to Jason, or anyone who links to his project to
> take it down or change it, but this also seems unfair to anyone
> who is willing to publish and maintain an io package of their
> own.
>
> One of the most annoying things I found is that even if I
> add-local Martin's io repository to dub, it *still* wants to
> compile against the code.dlang.org library (this makes sense as
> we don't want hijacking, but the solution sucks, I have to use
> a modified version of Martin's dub.sdl file).
>
> Regardless of this example, I'm sure you can see the dilemma
> here. Should we have an application/approval process for
> package names? Should we allow the same named packages on dub,
> but provide a way to disambiguate when specifying dependencies?
> Other ideas?
>
> What do you all think?
>
> -Steve
>
> P.S. maybe there is already a solution in place for this, but
> I'm not seeing it.

Great you brought this to attention. During a technical code
review for a XMake build plugin for D I was asked how a company
can set the organization name in dub.json to avoid name clashes
with Dub package names. Maybe we could also have a look how this
is done in other languages npm/python,...

Kind regards
Andre