D needs to publicize its speed of compilation

Joakim dlang at joakim.fea.st
Fri Dec 22 10:06:18 UTC 2017

This one of the main strengths of D, it is what Walter focuses
on, yet I have seen almost nothing on the D blog talking about
this.  What brought me to emphasize this today is this recent
post about how long it takes to compile the mostly-C++ Chromium
web browser and the reddit discussion about it:

https://lobste.rs/s/iri1te/chromium_has_compilation_time_problem
https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/7ktzog/chromium_has_a_compilation_time_problem/

I'm tempted to call BS on that 6-7 hour build time, as I used to
contribute to the Chromium project, and I think it used to take
me 20 minutes for a release build in a FreeBSD jail on a fairly
weak, 2008-vintage mini-desktop, a dual-core Celeron with 2 GBs
of RAM (don't hold me to that build time, just a vague
recollection, but probably in the ballpark).  Of course, the last
time I built Chromium was more than 5 years ago, and a lot has
likely changed since then, such as now using LTO to speed up the
browser apparently, and maybe the cross-compilation toolchain for
ARM is slower, though others note similar times for native x64
compilation also.

That still implies a slowdown of 2-3 orders of magnitude over the
last 5 years, given the much more powerful hardware he's using,
which is nuts.

D really needs the community to write blog posts talking about
how fast it is, publicizing that there is an alternative to these
glacial build times: who wants to do this?  It doesn't need to be
on the D blog, could just be on your personal blog, but it is a
message that really needs to be spread.