Maybe D is right about GC after all !

Dan Partelly i at i.com
Fri Dec 22 13:38:25 UTC 2017

On Friday, 22 December 2017 at 12:13:39 UTC, Emma Watson wrote:
> On Tuesday, 19 December 2017 at 12:21:19 UTC, I Love Stuffing
> wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 19 December 2017 at 09:54:05 UTC, Walter Bright
>> wrote:
>>> "C, Python, Go, and the Generalized Greenspun Law"
>>>
>>> http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=7804
>>
>> I'm still not sure why this precludes GC from just being a
>> standard library feature vs. a language feature. D is probably
>> better prepared than other languages in doing that cleanly.
>
> Probably this one could be the answer

I believe so, yes. GC should be a library feature, std library of
the language should be independent of existence of a garbage
collector, and the language itself should not contain features
which are dependent of the existence of a garbage collector.
(strings, maps, unbounded arrays all should have been part of
standard lib IMO and not part of the core language and dependent
of GC.

I wanted to look at D as a "beter C++", with simple and sane
metaprograming and metaligusitic features.  It is almost there,
but unfortunately, not 0 cost abstraction without loosing too
much. You depend too much of having garbage collection active. It
works as a "betterC" it seems, but you loose a lot of
functionality which should be in a "better C" and again, a lot
from the standard libraries is lost. Template C++ 2017 works well
for a better C as well, and I retain 0 cost abstraction, decent
(yet inferior to D meta-programming), closures,
exceptions, scopes...

Perhaps Im wrong, I only play with D by several days.