Maybe D is right about GC after all !

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Dec 24 10:41:09 UTC 2017

On Sat, 2017-12-23 at 11:33 +0200, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Russel Winder wrote:
>
> > I think we are now in a world where Rust is the zero cost
> > abstraction
> > language to replace C and C++, except for those who are determined
> > stay with C++ and evolve it.
>
> sorry, but it is not zero cost. we have alot of C and C++ code.
> converting
> it to Rust is not zero cost at all. and using it as-is won't make
> our
> codebases any better.

I think we are using different meanings of "zero cost abstraction".

[…]

> what i want to say (and didn't, as usual) is that Rust is not zero
> cost due
> to exisiting codebases. either you have to invest alot of time and
> efforts
> to port those codebases, or you have to use both Rust and C/C++, and
> suffer
> the consequences.

Porting code and "zero cost abstraction" are totally separate things,
there is no causal relation between them.

> […]
>
> that is, D actually has *no* competitors. if not google and mozco,
> people
> won't even start talking seriously about Go/Rust. yet even in this
> unfair
> race, D presence is constantly growing. just wait a little, and
> you'll see
> a dawn of Rust and Go. and D will be still there, standing strong
> and
> proud. ;-)

Programming language traction is only partly related to any technical
arguments. Hugely important is resource and marketing. C++ has Intel
and others. Rust has Mozilla and others. Go has Google and others.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200