Maybe D is right about GC after all !

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Dec 24 17:08:26 UTC 2017

On Sun, 2017-12-24 at 16:51 +0000, Patrick Schluter via Digitalmars-d
wrote:

[…]
> The big issues with Java and C# are the required infrastructure
> for deployment. They could be the best languages since sliced
> bread, they would still be annoying to deploy as the runtime is
> an emulator.
>
> I ported 1 app from Java to D. It was so unspectacular (or better
> said it was spectacularly easy) that you're probably right.
> Reaching to Java devs is a good idea. The advantage of Java
> though, is not the language but the huge, huge, huge existing
> libraries and packages and know how. This will be difficult to
> overcome  for any language.

But unless people submit proposals showing how D beats Java in direct
competition, the JVM focused people will never know. Take DevoxxUK and
JAXLondon the two primary JVM-related conferences in London. No mention
of Go or Rust, let alone D. Single language conferences are tools for
retaining people within the language, ditto programs such as Java
Champions.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200