Maybe D is right about GC after all !

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Dec 24 21:27:12 UTC 2017

On Sun, 2017-12-24 at 16:58 +0000, Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> Programming languages are tools for solving problems, and people
> face different problems and they also have different capabilities
> and tastes, which means even for people facing identical
> problems, the right tool for the job may not be the same because
> they aren't identical as groups and as individuals.

Thinking of a programming language as a domain specific language for
solving problems in a domain helps with this. Along with can a language
enable creation of a DSL for solving my problems. Creating functions is
creating a DSL in any language.

> Languages are also about much more than syntax; they are also
> about communities, ecosystems, and values.  In the beginning
> people generally join a community because they admire the values
> and capabilities of those prominent in the community.  Prestige
> often has a lot to do with that.

The issue of communities, aka tribes, cannot be underestimated. The
sense of belonging, and us vs. them, are very, very powerful in
determining success and failure for any programming language.

> How does prestige develop?  From tangible consequences produced
> by able and virtuous people acting together to create something.
> There's a long lead time on that one, but it's not something that
> can be rushed.

And sales and marketing. Arguably C was the last language that got
traction based solely on technical benefit and tribalism. All other
languages with traction since have had serious marketing behind them.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200