Maybe D is right about GC after all !

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Dec 25 10:20:44 UTC 2017

On Mon, 2017-12-25 at 08:12 +0000, Dan Partelly via Digitalmars-d
wrote:

[…]
> It starts with "everything must be a class". An die hard OOP
> language with little support for anything else. And to put it in
> the words of the great Alex Stepanov:
>

> Yes. STL is not object oriented. I think that object orientedness
> is almost as much of a hoax as Artificial Intelligence. I have
> yet to see an interesting piece of code that comes from these OO
> people. [1]

Very much the same could be, and indeed has been, said of the STL. i.e.
that there is no interesting piece of software using it. Having said
that it also caused a useful revolution in programming in the area
where C++ was, and is, used.

One persons opinion is irrelevant, unless you believe in advocacy
research.

> The second big issue this language caused is social in nature -
> the intellectual eclipse in schools and the programmers it
> created. See "The Perils of Java schools"[2].

There were problem with the Java revolution in university education in
1994, but there was also a lot of good stuff that came out of it.
Without a proper historical analysis, all that is left is (non-
constructive) prejudice.

> It beget some horrific software, bloated to hell. I recall seeing
> desktop financial apps which spawned web servers on desktop and
> had the UI in browser. Starting slow, big, the Java mentality
> beget those horrors. You could see Wirth's law [3] in every
> almost every program.

There is no doubt that software bloat has been a problem over the
years. Much of it is centred on Java, but then there is a lot in all
software. But then C and C++ brought us buffer overruns. All
programming languages bring awfulness as well as some goodness.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200