Maybe D is right about GC after all !

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Tue Dec 26 17:46:14 UTC 2017

On Tue, 2017-12-26 at 16:40 +0000, Dan Partelly via Digitalmars-d
wrote:

[…]
> Excuse me, since I don't really follow the "raise and fall " of
> new languages. Is really Rust rising and shining ? Tiobe (for all
> it's flows) put it on 0.530 index, just *below* ADA (great
> language, for SW engineering if you ask me , Id wish I could get
> a chance to learn it better).  D's index 0.950 much better than
> Rust's.

TIOBE has nothing concrete to say about the languages themselves, it is
a metric of how much buzz on the search engines there is about the
language. Generally this is correlated with how much people do not
understand about a language and are prepared to ask publicly. There is
also a huge hysteresis in the measure.

TIOBE can be fun, but nothing serious can be inferred from the data.

As for the particular question, language such as Groovy have great
traction but very little TIOBE buzz. Rust has lots of technical things
about memory safety but the buzz isn't really there yet.

Which leads to another observation: if a language has a strong language
specific mail list of forum very little gets said outside that arena
and so TIOBE doesn't pick it up. So in a sense TIOBE is a measure of
disparateness of the community.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200