D as a betterC a game changer ?

Dan Partelly i at i.com
Wed Dec 27 08:24:49 UTC 2017

rammers homebreaw their
On Tuesday, 26 December 2017 at 23:02:18 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> own using setjmp/longjmp to use it?
>
> Standard C has always had setjmp/longjmp, so "exceptions" are
> part of the language.

So then why not have first class support for them in language
instead of having the programmer go through hoops to use them ?

> SEH is used on Windows because Microsoft designed the Windows
> API to pretty much force people to use it. Its absence on every
> other OS suggests it is hardly that desirable.

There where no successful operating system written after
NT(1993). It's presence on NT might suggest that it got it right,
not that it got it wrong. You and I might **feel** differently on
the area. Surely SEH its much better than the state on POSIX in
this area.

Besides, the point is the C programmers used this feature. It was
not "forced" on you. It was also used in kernel, where it was not
"forced" on programmers by any API, since they designed the APIs.
Cutler's pose considered OK to pay the price in many situation.

Truth is, It was convenient to use it. This is why people used
it. Not that the terrific API design of Windows forced them. I
seen programs for NT written in C which barely used any Win API
but used SEH. Made code much simpler and easier to maintain imo.
__finally alone was a stroke of genius for that time.