Maybe D is right about GC after all !

codephantom me at noyb.com
Wed Dec 27 08:36:13 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 27 December 2017 at 07:49:33 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:

> AS is a hackish workaround for the failure of the language to
> prevent such things.
>
> AS is just a more modern valgrind, which has been around for
> ages, and has failed to turn C/C++ into memory safe languages.

Well, I don't want C to become a memory safe programming
language. I want my pointer to be able to point to anywhere, and
I mean..anywhere ;-)

As for D, I agree that memory safety is clearly not an
afterthought that requires 'hackish workarounds', like C++ needs.

btw. I'd like to see D 3.x introduce a breaking change and make
@safe the default, instead of @system. I think that would be huge
boost for D going forward.

How practical that is, I would have no idea.

But as an 'end user' of D, I would prefer to have to explicitely
mark code as @system, rather than have to explicitely mark code
as @safe, and therefore having to find tools that help me check
whether I 'forgot' to do that.