Maybe D is right about GC after all !

Atila Neves atila.neves at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 21:00:31 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 27 December 2017 at 20:48:12 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 12/27/2017 8:38 AM, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
>> On Wednesday, 27 December 2017 at 07:44:30 UTC, Walter Bright
>> wrote:

> The psychological cognitive issues around negation are known,
> but I rarely see deliberate efforts by programmers to deal with
> that issue. D kinda forces it, and I get resistance to it, but
> it is worthwhile to push it because the results are worth it.

I nearly always reorganise my code so that my `if` statements are
positive precisely because of this. The only times I don't is
when the negative branch is a lot shorter, so I "get it out of
the way" sooner. Even then I try to rename the boolean value to
not require negation.

I had a hard time convincing my colleagues at my previous job
that this was an issue. Then again I had a hard time convincing
them unit tests were a good idea, so there's that.

Atila