D as a betterC a game changer ?

John Gabriele jgabriele at fastmail.fm
Wed Dec 27 21:17:03 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, 27 December 2017 at 20:53:46 UTC, Dan Partelly
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 27 December 2017 at 19:13:15 UTC, John Gabriele
> wrote:
>>
>> Although I don't know D very well yet, it sounds like Russel
>> hits the nail precisely on the head here. FWICT, folks have
>> lately used scripting languages (ex. Python, Perl, Ruby) for
>> larger and larger programs (and even JS+Node for local apps),
>
> Resulting in terrible software. Take text editors written in
> JS+Electron. Slow bloated crap. {snip}

Maybe I wasn't being very clear there. Also, my unedited comment
on that was:

> Although I don't know D very well yet, it sounds like Russel
> hits the nail precisely on the head here. FWICT, folks have
> lately used scripting languages (ex. Python, Perl, Ruby) for
> larger and larger programs (and even JS+Node for local apps),
> but it seems to me like the pendulum is swinging back the other
> way as everyone wants optional types and also JIT
> implementations like [PyPy](http://pypy.org/).

with my point being that I think we're seeing many scripting
language users now wanting the features that D already has
(types, type inference, high performance and less resource usage
(natively compiled)). I think it's a good time for D to attract
those users.