Maybe D is right about GC after all !

codephantom me at noyb.com
Thu Dec 28 03:34:55 UTC 2017

On Thursday, 28 December 2017 at 02:53:56 UTC, Dan Partelly wrote:
> On Thursday, 28 December 2017 at 02:48:11 UTC, codephantom
> wrote:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYEKEIpM2zo
>
> Thanks Ill watch it, but when I mentioned worse is better I
> didn't had C++ in mind. I thought at new language who gains
> traction lately but it is clearly inferior to D technically.
>
> It was... Go.

I tried Go. I didn't like it. Syntax changes were not necessary,
and I got the feeling that the philosophy of Go, is that
programmers are incompetent and need training wheels. It wasn't
for me.

I looked at Rust, but never tried it, as I found the syntax to
pretty awful - and it reminded my too much of C++.

I looked at D, it looked nice. Syntax was familiar, and very C
like (which is the best kind of syntax IMHO). I decided to try
it.. and I just found it easy to work with...despite some bugs,
which you kinda of have to accept for now..but it's getting a lot
better.

Most importantly for me, is that it works on FreeBSD, otherwise
I'll lose interest immediately. I still use C though, as C is
still 'the' primary language on x..BSD, and will remains so for
the forseeable future.

But gee.. I can do things in D so easily and quickly compare to
C, and I don't feel like I giving up much for that convenience.
Compare that to running dotnet ... grrrr...you sit there just
waiting for the program to load.

So everyone comes to a new language with their own requirements.

Work out what your's are... or just play with it.. and enjoy what
it has to offer.