Maybe D is right about GC after all !

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Thu Dec 28 10:57:55 UTC 2017

On Wed, 2017-12-27 at 01:23 +0000, codephantom via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> […]
>
> But the design of graduate studies really needs to be radically
> transformed, as they simply try to pack far too much in...leaving
> students without any time to reflect on what they're doing, or
> why they're doing it.

In which country? All countries have different education systems: you
cannot apply a criticism of one globally.

> In addition, we live in 'the age of distractions and
> mulitasking', so students really learn very little these days
> from doing a degree..(particulary those packed with too much
> stuff).

And the evidence is? I know the USA government department are no longer
allowed to use words and concepts such as science-based and evidence-
based, but the rest of the world still works on needing evidence to
back up an opinion.

> I think this is why (at least in Australia), there is a
> significant trend towards studying degrees part-time - the
> cognitive load of full-time degrees not longer support the way
> people want to (or just happen to) live these days.

Or they just do not have the money to study full-time?

> Until univerties stop trying to be money making machines, and get
> back to teaching people how to learn about useful things, then
> not much will change.

Not sure which country this is an observation on, but again all
countries are different so a global opinion is not possible. The
problem in the UK is the shift from wholly government funded tertiary
education, to partially government, partially personal funded tertiary
education. The cynical would see this as a way of stopping poor people
getting an education.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200