Maybe D is right about GC after all !

John Gabriele jgabriele at fastmail.fm
Thu Dec 28 16:43:41 UTC 2017

On Thursday, 28 December 2017 at 15:57:18 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Thursday, 28 December 2017 at 11:27:29 UTC, Russel Winder
> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2017-12-27 at 18:41 +0000, Laeeth Isharc via
>> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>>
>> […]
>> However the GStreamer folk are backing Rust (for memory safety
>> issues noted earlier) so even though D has a GStreamer binding
>> (thanks to Mike and GtkD) I more or less have to use Rust
>> because it is the official binding. Comparing and contrasting
>> D and Rust is interesting for me. Both have many pluses and
>> many minuses. However, in the end, the GStreamer core people
>> know C, C++ a bit, D not at all. I suspect even if the choice
>> had been Rust or D, Rust would have been chosen because it has
>> no GC and D is a GC language.
>
> Not only GStreamer, Rust is on its way to become an offical
> GNOME language, and who knows, eventually take over Vala's role.

I haven't followed Gnome+Rust news. What suggests Rust may be on
its way to become an official Gnome language?

I'd think that people looking to write apps for Gnome would be
more inclined to use a *higher*-level language, like D (see GtkD)
or Python (see PyGObject) rather than a lower-level one like Rust
where there's a need to deal with borrowing and lifetimes.

Another possible contender I'd forgotten about:
[Kotlin/Native](https://github.com/JetBrains/kotlin-native). I
see they have some sample code for using GTK:
<https://github.com/JetBrains/kotlin-native/tree/master/samples/gtk>.