Maybe D is right about GC after all !

codephantom me at noyb.com
Fri Dec 29 00:26:04 UTC 2017

On Thursday, 28 December 2017 at 08:53:25 UTC, Russel Winder
wrote:
> On Thu, 2017-12-28 at 03:34 +0000, codephantom via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>>
> […]
>> I tried Go. I didn't like it. Syntax changes were not I looked
>> at Rust, but never tried it, as I found the syntax to pretty
>> awful - and it reminded my too much of C++.
>
> The syntax is fine, and it is so unlike C++, it is easy to get
> into. I am using Rust as my primary language for all GStreamer
> stuff now.

I disagree.

Here is some Rust code...

use std::io::stdin;
fn someFunction(vec: Vec<int>) {}
let  mut vec = Vec::new();
let mut age: i32 = 1;
etc...
etc.....

The syntax is just weird, in my opinion.. it's like some martian
language...

Clearly, applied psychology was not front of mind when designing
that syntax ;-)
(and I believe the syntax was pretty controverial anyway, and
underwent constant changes...but they still managed to get it
wrong .. in my opinion).

>> But gee.. I can do things in D so easily and quickly compare
>> to C, and I don't feel like I giving up much for that
>> convenience. Compare that to running dotnet ... grrrr...you
>> sit there just waiting for the program to load.
>
> C# and F# also have a lot going for them, I suspect you used it
> is the wrong context and so got a bad feel. The same is true
> for Java. Kotlin, Groovy, I guess which are great in a
> JVM-centred context.

No. I didn't mean C# per se. What I mean is 'dotnet' (the attempt
my MSFT to port C# to other platforms.) I have to sit and wait
several seconds sometimes before the dotnet runtime loads itself
and starts doing the job I asked it to do. Once it runs it's not
'too' bad, but still noticably slower than a native compiled
language. I do like C#, so I'm not against that, but making
people wait for things to load like this is just pathetic..it
needs to get better... or in the dumpster it goes.