What do you want to see for a mature DLang?

rjframe dlang at ryanjframe.com
Fri Dec 29 21:57:17 UTC 2017

On Fri, 29 Dec 2017 13:34:14 -0800, Walter Bright wrote:

> On 12/28/2017 11:53 PM, IM wrote:
>> Simple things like these make a big difference. D Lang has been around
>> for a long while now, and hence signs of its maturity has to show
>> everywhere, especially in the compiler, as well as the package manager.
>
> Diverging from the:
>
>    file(line): message
>
> format is problematic because a lot of editors rely on that to position
> the editor on the offending line.

I think the idea of the OP is that the message should be better; not that
it should have an identical format to the Rust error.

    file(line): better message

isn't going to mess with anybody's tools.

I noticed the Rust error has a code, too (E0308); if better error messages
are too difficult to implement, assigning codes to error types and
documenting them on the wiki could be helpful. Once you've dealt with an
error type, the messages aren't that bad, but having documentation for the
first time you run into it would be nice.

Somewhat-related question out of curiosity: is there ever a time the error
message "template instance foo!(bar) error instantiating" is actually
needed? I've always seen it paired with a message that actually describes
the problem, so is just noise.