D needs to publicize its speed of compilation

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Dec 29 23:51:53 UTC 2017

On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 03:49:07PM -0700, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> It also depends on your personality. Personally, while I like builds
> being near instantaneous when dealing with unit tests, if they take a
> few seconds, it's not a big deal, but I know folks who get seriously
> annoyed if they can notice much of a difference time-wise between
> hitting enter to run the build command and hitting enter with no
> command. Either way though, having build times be more than a few
> seconds when dealing with unit tests tends to cause serious problems
> even though having a build for an entire project take a few minutes
> usually isn't a big deal unless you're really impatient. Having the
> delay between making changes and testing them be very long can
> _really_ slow down development, and so that's where build times really
> matter.
[...]

If you think a few minutes is bad... I've been on the receiving end of
builds that take 30-45 *minutes* for 1-line code changes
(*ahem*cough*C++ header files*cough*ahem*).  It put a serious damper on
my ability to make any progress with the code. It's *possible*, yes, but
it's not something I'd wish on anyone.

MSDOS = MicroSoft's Denial Of Service