What do you want to see for a mature DLang?

radagast brucewayneshit at gmail.com
Sat Dec 30 12:11:14 UTC 2017

On Friday, 29 December 2017 at 07:53:51 UTC, IM wrote:
> I will start:
>
>    -- Better compiler errors, better compiler errors, better
> compiler errors.
>

> I really wish that the compiler errors could receive some
> refinement. Mostly it feels like some error text just being
> thrown at me. It needs to be better formatted, more helpful,
> with suggestions about how to fix (if possible).
>
> To illustrate my point:
>
> - See the compile errors I've just encountered with DMD:
> https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/H0q609l.png
>
> - Now compare that with an error produced by rustc:
> https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/H0q6bLi.png
>

> Simple things like these make a big difference. D Lang has been
> around for a long while now, and hence signs of its maturity
> has to show everywhere, especially in the compiler, as well as
> the package manager.

* R-value references.
* More "Hands free" package/dependency management (See
Cargo(Rust))
* GC dependency free stdlib, with built-in general purpose async
i/o library
* More sophisticated, official language server
* Better IDE support
* Full-fledged smart pointer (resembling std::unique_ptr<T>,
std::shared_ptr<T>, std::weak_ptr<T> in the standard
* Riddance of `object`, and being able to hand-make rootobject.
No common root class.